Yum! This zucchini soup recipe is so delicious and it is always difficult to find something to do with all of those zucchini that the plants produce. (I was given a handful by several of my neighbors and had to come up with a solution to not waste any!) And BONUS: this pureed soup recipe contains NO CREAM and only a little bit of olive oil to cook the onions in! So it can easily fit into the diets of those who are health conscience. Also aside from the chopping it is not a time consuming recipe. You can eat it chilled or warm. Delicious both ways!
Zucchini Basil Soup
1. Place a stock pot over medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Enough to cover most of the pan bottom. Approx 1/4 cup.
2. Add a chopped onion (any variety will do, I used sweet) and a few cloves of garlic to the oil and cook until soft. About 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Chop, chop, chop a variety of zucchini! I used several types of summer squash including Magda, Italiano (the long twisty one), Sable, Super Creamy (the yellow grocery store kind), and Black Beauty (also usually found in the grocery store. Add chopped zucchini to the onions and garlic. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add 3 cups of stock (I used chicken, but vegetable is find too!) to the pot and let simmer for 15 miuntes.
5. The final step is to puree the soup in a food processor or blender with a hefty handful of fresh basil leaves! Return to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a little bit more basil or even some sour cream. Enjoy!