Yum! This zucchini soup recipe is so delicious and it is always difficult to find something to do with all of those zucchini that the plants produce. (I was given a handful by several of my neighbors and had to come up with a solution to not waste any!) And BONUS: this pureed soup recipe contains NO CREAM and only a little bit of olive oil to cook the onions in! So it can easily fit into the diets of those who are health conscience. Also aside from the chopping it is not a time consuming recipe. You can eat it chilled or warm. Delicious both ways!
Zucchini Basil Soup
1. Place a stock pot over medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Enough to cover most of the pan bottom. Approx 1/4 cup.
2. Add a chopped onion (any variety will do, I used sweet) and a few cloves of garlic to the oil and cook until soft. About 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Chop, chop, chop a variety of zucchini! I used several types of summer squash including Magda, Italiano (the long twisty one), Sable, Super Creamy (the yellow grocery store kind), and Black Beauty (also usually found in the grocery store. Add chopped zucchini to the onions and garlic. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add 3 cups of stock (I used chicken, but vegetable is find too!) to the pot and let simmer for 15 miuntes.
5. The final step is to puree the soup in a food processor or blender with a hefty handful of fresh basil leaves! Return to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a little bit more basil or even some sour cream. Enjoy!
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
There is nothing that pleases me more than seeing that hippie-chic, beach-loving, bright colors and over-sized jewelry is going strong in to the next season! I can never say no to a bright pattern, sultry shape, and beachy attitude in an outfit. Mara Hoffman's Spring/Summer 2012 collection is nothing short of amazing. And it is right up my fashion-alley.
Fabric hand-embroidered by Otomi, knit separates, and silky fabric embroidered with neon threads are all integral parts of this collection. Aztec prints and sheer silky tunics are everything I want. I legitimately would wear everything from this collection! My fav of S/S 2012. Don't even get me started on the amazing-ness of these necklaces!! The rope necklaces were created with a partnership between Mara H and Holst & Lee. Thanks nyfw for keeping me excited for the upcoming seasons! (After the cold ones are over.) Enjoy!
The best thing about fall is layering! Although I am a summer lover, laying makes it okay for the weather to get cold! This season there are many, many opportunities for interesting layering pieces! Crop-shaped tops, scarves, vests, and jackets. And it is always fun to layer up on a summer dress and carry it into fall. Especially carrying the maxi dress into fall and keeping the 70's vibe going is really big this fall!
Enjoy and layer-up!
Outfit 1: JBrand jeans, H&M silk button up, H&M sweater, H&M denim button up, LnA leather jacket, Manolo Blahnik camo heels and Balenciaga bag.
Outfit 2: Zara dress, H&M button up, H&M belt, Banana Republic vest, H&M necklace, Zara trench, H&M boots and Khirma Eliazov clutch.
Posted by Ashley Quinn at 12:38 PM